

I hate to jinx myself, but I think we may be DONE with diapers (at least during the day) at our house! We started Beckett yesterday, and today he pee'd 9 times in the potty with NO accidents and he told us when he had to go! To say that I am excited about this is an understatement, considering that I have been changing diapers for 6 years and 2 months, sometimes 2 kids at a time.
Now to potty train a 23 month old boy takes incredible skill, creativity and perseverance that most moms probably don't have. But I am exceptional. I should charge people for my trade secrets, but since you are my friends I will clue you in for free. Here is what I did:
I told Gwen that I would give all the kids a candy necklace if Beckett went in the potty.
Apparently, Gwen has an intense love of candy necklaces that I didn't know about because she was determined to get that kid to pee. She put him on the potty and then entertained him by singing songs and driving his trucks around the bathroom floor until he pee'd for the first time. Candy necklaces all around! I told Gwen she had the magic touch, so then she felt personally responsible for his success. In fact, I was not even in the bathroom for his first two potty successes! How funny is that? Today (day #2) we were having trouble getting him to go for the first time (and you need to have success for the first pee of the day or it ruins the day!). I told Gwen I needed her magic touch. She came prancing in and announced, "here's the secret. you need to leave the room." Sure enough, the little booger pee'd for her again!
We're heading to the mountains for the weekend, so I'm hoping we don't lose momentum. I can't exactly trust him to tell me when we're skiing that he has to go, yet I'm afraid diapers will set us back. That's one of the fundamental rules I read - commit! Don't go back and forth with diapers. So, we'll see. Wish us luck!
we are close to being done with the diapers here but not quite. could you send gwen over for a couple of days? actually, i love the idea of offering treats for the others... i am going to try that on Monday!!!! congrats to you!!!
ReplyDeleteI just love this over the shoulder look! Too cute! I was laughing so hard to read that he fell asleep skiing too ... hilarious! Happy Birthday last week by the way! So sorry I missed it, but I hope you had a great one and I wish you a great year ahead!
ReplyDelete