
I just dropped Gwen off for her first day of 1st grade, followed by a trip to Starbucks with moms from the neighborhood (I love my neighborhood!). And boy, did I need it! Ever since Kindergarten graduation last spring I have been nervous for this day. Since Kindergarten was 1/2 day, this will be Gwen's first time going all day, 5 days a week.
We picked some flowers from our garden for her teacher, and I made her favorite Cream of Wheat with a fruit smoothie for breakfast. Beckett put on his Diego backpack for the walk. We walked outside and the entire street was outside taking pictures and walking together. It was perfect. Gwen doesn't know many kids in her class this year, so I was very nervous for her, but I should have known better. We arrived at school and she gave me a quick kiss and was on her way. Music was blaring over the loud speakers to welcome the kids back to school, and the scene was hectic to say the least. My wagon couldn't fit in the mass of parents trying to crowd past the "hug and go zone" so I had to hug her and just watch her go. She blended right in with the huge group and didn't even look back for one last wave.
That was when I lost it. I cried the whole way home, eliciting funny looks from strangers and hugs from friends. I realized that we had done our job well. Our daughter was excited for school, confident, and ready to face her next adventure. I also realized that if we continue to do our job well, our life will be the constant juxtaposition of wanting Gwen to develop her wings, but not really wanting them to carry her away from me. It was both heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time to see her walk through those 1st grade doors.
Gwen, we love you and we're so proud of you! Although I enjoyed my starbucks with the moms, the house doesn't feel as full of life when you are not here!
Now you have me teary-eyed. What a big day! And I am totally blown away by this picture! Gwen looks so beautiful and grown up!
ReplyDeleteI love the way you said that about "growing their wings" but not quite ready for those wings to "carry them away"! I did the ugly cry when Tucker boarded the kindergarten bus. Couldn't even control it to answer the questions the bus driver was asking me. Thank goodness no one captured that part on camera..
ReplyDelete