Saturday, August 20, 2011

Boulder Kids Triathlon



We just got back from vacation, but right before we left ALL THREE KIDS did the Boulder IronKids Triathlon. This was Gwen's 4th year and it has been one of my favorite events every year. This year was extra special because both Darcy and Beckett got to participate as well.

Gwen:
Gwen was such a trooper this year doing a long course (50m open water swim, 2 mile bike, .5 mile run). I love how she gradually progresses from one course to another with no problem b/c she's been doing it since she was 4! A huge goal of mine is to make sure my kids learn things at a young age that build their confidence. As someone who learned to do everything as an adult, I really want to give my kids the gift of knowing they can do anything they set their mind to. I'm so proud of my big girl!



Darcy:
I don't know if I have ever been so proud of Darcy. One thing I love about her so much is that she gets super excited to try new things. She jumps and dances around and talks about whatever she is going to do for days ahead of time. Darcy's route was a 25m run through the water where they can meet up with one parent to help with the transition from swim to bike, etc. When I met up with Darcy she yelled "No! You go over there! This is MY triathlon!". I was so proud of her can do spirit. She pedaled her little training wheeled bike as fast as her little legs would carry her (at times, when she wasn't so distracted by the other kids that she stopped pedaling altogether). Then she did the run and yelled at me the whole time to go away : ) I would be lying if I said I didn't cry when that girl crossed the finish line.

Beckett:
This was Beckett's first time doing something really sporty like this. His competitive nature came out for sure! He kept practicing his "entrance" into the water by getting out, running up the beach, yelling "TRIAFLON!!!!" at the top of his lungs and sprinting into the water, and then getting out and doing it over again! He did the whole thing FAST with a determined little look on his face. It was so cute. He started riding a bike without training wheels this June (at 3 years 2 months!) so he flew past a bunch of kids that were older than him and he just loved it. We left the next day for Hilton Head and he kept asking if he could do another one in Hilton Head, and then he continued to practice his entrance the whole time we were there.



We weren't sure if our middle child would ever be able to participate in something like this. It might be a small thing to most people, but we felt so incredibly blessed to have three healthy children who are willing and able to take advantage of these beautiful moments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment