I rarely have time to post and when I do I often type as quickly as I can without a lot of thought, upload a few pictures and hit "publish" and the run off to the next thing without even reading the final post. I made an offhand comment in my kid's triathlon post about having to learn things as an adult and wanting my kids to learn these things as children. At the time, I was incredibly nervous for my upcoming triathlon which had an open water swim and wishing I was a stronger swimmer like my two training partners. I was in the mindset of "my kids aren't going to be nervous like me b/c they will have been doing triathlons since they were little!". My mom lovingly sent me a list of the things I participated in/was exposed to as a child, and although the list did not include triathlons or mountain biking or skiing, it was long and it was rich and I owe my parents an apology for that comment.
Two things I have realized: 1) you cannot predict what your kids will be interested in as adults so your job as a parent is to give your kids the confidence that when they see those new opportunities they are willing to try and to learn and to "say yes". My kids might end up posting on their blogs in 30 years about how never put them in archery lessons and I certainly wouldn't feel bad about that. I have made myself a promise to always "say yes" to life and try new things, especially if I am invited by a friend, no matter how bad I may be at it. It has served me well. I have not often stopped to wonder where I got that confidence. Hmmm... 2) One reason my kids participate in these activities is not because I am an awesome mom but because they are WILLING to and I am lucky that they have met with success which gives them encouragement. I could just as easily have had children who were timid and scared to try new things (more like I was!). I wouldn't have blamed myself for that either. I am so happy that although Gwen is so much like me, I do not see the same timidness in her that I had as a child. It was not my parent's fault that I did not turn into a tennis player or a soccer player - I was quite bad at both and not too interested in participating in things I was bad at!
So anyway, I officially apologize for my comment and I thank you for the lesson - only one of many that you have taught me. I love you mom and dad!
We Are the Champions!
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment