- tried to talk Beckett into switching to half-day kindergarten
- decided that maybe we should get a puppy
- tried to talk Lance into adopting siblings from another country
- seriously considered whether having my "tubes" surgically untied was a good idea
Which led me to my first, and best, resolution:
DON'T MAKE ANY MAJOR DECISIONS THE FIRST MONTH AFTER YOUR BABY GOES TO KINDERGARTEN!
The thought that I was possibly having all of these thoughts because I missed my kids honestly did not occur to me. Clearly, I thought, a puppy/baby/children-from-another-country was just a GOOD IDEA. Why hadn't I thought of it sooner? It took Lance to finally say, "wow, maybe you are in crisis because you miss the kids?". DUH.
In addition to my first resolution, I made a series of others for the year. I've been waiting for this year for a long time, and I want to make the most of it. I remember everyone telling me that I wouldn't get anything done on maternity leave. I got a LOT done on maternity leave. Similarly, everyone has been telling me "You just watch! The day will fly by and you won't have accomplished anything!". Well phooey on that because I crave productivity! Example: since school started I have completed a big work project, started two girl scout troops, gotten Darcy's troop up and running, and chaired our school's big fundraiser, the Mustang Mile and Fall Festival, which earned our school over $40,000! Whether it is a good thing or not, I really value accomplishments.
So here are my resolutions/goals for the year. Hopefully I do better than when I tried to read the Bible:
- Do more yoga.
- Have less chaotic Holidays.
(because I will presumably be able to plan/shop/craft, etc. while the kids are at school)
- Introduce my photo albums to the year 2008 and beyond.
- Blog Better.
(note, this is not specific! I am setting myself up for success by not being too rigid with my criteria!)
- Stop what I'm doing and enjoy quality time with my kids when they are home sick from school. (note, I've already gotten to practice this twice! Beckett and I enjoyed a rousing game of Candy Land and two episodes of Cupcake Wars!)
- Read some non-fiction.
(I've heard science has made some progress since I graduated from college and I'd like to catch up)
- Garden and maintain the yard a little better.
- Organize three things.
- Know what we're having for dinner the majority of the time.
- Create a peaceful evening/after-school environment, even on our busy days.
- Extend our bedtime reading... More chapter books, and letting Darcy read to us.
- DON'T OVER-COMMIT
(lance will say I've already failed at that one, but I have really enjoyed what I've done so far)
- Similarly, don't over-schedule - myself or the kids.
- Be more thoughtful with birthdays and thank you notes.
(I THINK of everyone on their birthday, but that doesn't cut it anymore)
- Sew something.
(ha! I've already sewn Alvin and the Chipmunks costumes for Lance and two friends! But I'd like to sew something "real")
- Paint and/or fully decorate one room.
- When the kids are home, don't be distracted by things I can do while they're at school.
So here are my resolutions/goals for the year. Hopefully I do better than when I tried to read the Bible:
- Do more yoga.
- Have less chaotic Holidays.
(because I will presumably be able to plan/shop/craft, etc. while the kids are at school)
- Introduce my photo albums to the year 2008 and beyond.
- Blog Better.
(note, this is not specific! I am setting myself up for success by not being too rigid with my criteria!)
- Stop what I'm doing and enjoy quality time with my kids when they are home sick from school. (note, I've already gotten to practice this twice! Beckett and I enjoyed a rousing game of Candy Land and two episodes of Cupcake Wars!)
- Read some non-fiction.
(I've heard science has made some progress since I graduated from college and I'd like to catch up)
- Garden and maintain the yard a little better.
- Organize three things.
- Know what we're having for dinner the majority of the time.
- Create a peaceful evening/after-school environment, even on our busy days.
- Extend our bedtime reading... More chapter books, and letting Darcy read to us.
- DON'T OVER-COMMIT
(lance will say I've already failed at that one, but I have really enjoyed what I've done so far)
- Similarly, don't over-schedule - myself or the kids.
- Be more thoughtful with birthdays and thank you notes.
(I THINK of everyone on their birthday, but that doesn't cut it anymore)
- Sew something.
(ha! I've already sewn Alvin and the Chipmunks costumes for Lance and two friends! But I'd like to sew something "real")
- Paint and/or fully decorate one room.
- When the kids are home, don't be distracted by things I can do while they're at school.
I'll keep you posted on the progress, because there is nothing I like better than checking things off of a list!
No comments:
Post a Comment