
Inspired by my 4 year old, I am setting a goal of doing a triathlon next summer. Unfortunately, they won't let me run through the water like Gwen did, which means I have to learn how to swim! I figure if I want to be able to compete in a sprint-distance (these are the short ones, which - to be clear - will NOT involve any sprinting on my part!), I need to get started now! I took a swim clinic last week and am trying to work my way up. I started at 10 laps, stopping every LENGTH of the pool, alternating strokes b/c my arms were too tired, and doing kickboard laps in between. Today I did 18 laps (1/2 mile) with no kickboard laps, so that is good for me! To put it in perspective though, I go with a few women on Friday mornings and they do about 44 laps in the same amount of time : )
And to show how uncomfortable I am in the water, I will make a confession... Even though I KNOW I am in a pool, I get really nervous when I go by the deep end and can't see as well b/c I am scared of getting attacked by a shark. How ridiculous is that?????
I'm LOL about the shark. In the lake this summer I loved swimming but when I'd get out too far I'd swim in quickly for the same reason. This lake doesn't even have fish!
ReplyDelete