I had all but quit my Weds morning runs, but for some reason this morning I decided to go. I knew it would be cold so I bundled up, but I was not quite prepared for the NEGATIVE 13 degree reading in my car by the time I got there at 6:00am. As it turns out, it was not as horrible as I expected - my friends were right, you do just have to bundle up! What does that include? Here is the exact perfect outfit for -13 degree running, in case you are ever tempted: Smart Wool running socks, REI softshell pants with fleece lining, long sleeved spandex shirt, fleece jacket, big fluffy vest, neck gator pulled up over your nose, mittens (not gloves, mittens are warmer), a fleece headband to cover your ears + a hat (hats leave the bottoms of your ears exposed, so you need the hat AND headband). That's it and you're good to go! The only thing that was cold on me were my eyeballs. I literally started wondering if the fluid in your eyes could freeze.
Two funny things happen while you are running in these temps. First, your eyelashes and eyebrows get HUGE icicles on them - they turn completely white and it looks like you have big fake white eyelashes. Second, I am convinced that fat is affected more than muscle by the cold. Maybe it has more water in it? Anyway, any fat areas on your body almost freeze and turn bright red. Then for two hours after you run it is bright red and itchy as it thaws out. I thought I might be the only one experiencing that, but we were all laughing about it this morning.
Even though this was probably my last early morning run of the winter, there really is nothing like running with three great friends and watching the sun come up over the mountains. Ahhhh....
We Are the Champions!
11 years ago
You actually do burn the "bad" fat more in cold weather than in hot. I forget where I read that, but I am almost 100% sure it was in an old Runners World magazine. And I, too, notice the cold parts of my body after a long run in freezing weather coincide with the fatty parts. Nice way to figure out where you need to concentrate with the weights.
ReplyDelete