Thursday, November 19, 2009

First sentences

Kindergarten is so much fun (for me, that is!). Gwen read us her first full book a week or two ago, called, "Biscuit and the Baby". And she is constantly working on things: tonight she made a calendar for the month of December and harassed me about what we were doing every single day of the month so she could write it down. Yesterday we were driving to the store and Gwen whipped out a map that she had drawn. I could hear her muttering in the back seat, "ok, now we go past the lake, yep, I have that on my map. now we turn right, okay..."

Another fun thing is that they are learning to sound out words. Normally Gwen does not like to be wrong, so she wants me to tell her how to spell everything. At school they have to just sound the words out on their own even if they are wrong. So the other night she wrote her first full sentence at home without any help.

"Heow med up the frst wrd?"

Translation: "Who made up the first word?"

Quite a deep thought for a first sentence, huh?

Beckett also had his first sentence this week. He put his cup in a cabinet (a bad habit - I keep finding cups full of milk in random drawers and cabinets!), he shut the cabinet door and said, "Bye bye, cup". He's said two word phrases before, but this was the first time he put two random words together to form a thought. Not as deep as Gwen's, but equally exciting : )

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm writing Christmas cards and I only have your Granby address. Can you email me your new address? skwood1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete