Do you ever worry that your kids will inherit all of your worst characteristics, for like a "perfect storm" of bad genes? I have to be honest, I am terrified to have a boy. Not to raise a boy, but to MAKE a boy. I felt fairly confident that I could make a girl turn out alright, but I don't think I would make a very good boy at all. Since most of you reading this are my friends, you are probably agreeing with me deep down, but saying out loud, "No, Laura, you would make a great boy!". But we all know that is simply not true. For example:
- I am 5'2". Not bad for a girl, but not ideal for a boy. Let's just say, I don't come from a large family, genes-wise. My grandpa once told us at a family get together that his grandfather had been a jockey. We all kind of looked at each other, not a one of us over 5'8", and it all kind of came together : )
- Petite: Cute for a girl. For a boy? Not so much. In fact, boys don't call it petite, they call it scrawny.
- My face is pointy. Winona Ryder's face is also pointy, and she is cute. Screech from Saved by the Bell also has a pointy face, but he is not cute.
- I have actually already produced a child with such low muscle tone that she has undergone EXTENSIVE genetic testing to figure out what is wrong with her, and does therapy twice per week. Still, I am confident that Darcy's cute-ness makes up for her lack of any sort of muscles whatsoever. It will be harder for a boy to get by on good looks alone (especially if #1 and #2 fear come true).
- Will Smith and I have the same ears. My ears stick out FAR, but luckily being a girl, I can hide them for the most part behind long hair. Again, this will be more difficult for my male offspring.
- I am not particularly adept at anything to do with a ball - kicking, catching, throwing, etc. This is particularly true when there is any sort of other movement involved, like catching while running. True, I can run with no other activity involved (jogging), or hit a ball with no other movement involved (golf), but the two together is often disastrous.
- Perhaps my high school friends will recall my scoliosis and resultant back brace that I had to wear for 4 years? A full-body back brace laying around the girls locker room at an all-girls school is not such a big deal. Can you imagine a high school boy getting away with it?
Anyway, this post was kind of a joke, but obviously a real fear of mine! Luckily for me, I would be proud to have a boy that turned out like my husband, or like my dad, and I'm sure the little guy has a fighting chance of inheriting at least a FEW genes from them. : )
We Are the Champions!
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment