My friend Erika and I are brainstorming ways to save the world. So far, she wants to start a community garden and give all the food to a food bank so people can get fresh produce; I want to help my whole neighborhood go solar. She also wants to join the "50% League" and donate 50% of her income; I think she is crazy.
Anyway, I found this link through her sister's blog (they are quite the generous family) and am formulating a plan in my mind. The blog chooses a different charity each month and asks for small amounts of money from kids to do something tangible. For example, this month is Uganda (and you all know how attached I am to Africa). There is an organization called "Feed the Forgotten" and they can provide a meal to a starving child for $0.14. $20 feeds an entire family for 20 days. Another month they bought formula for babies in Guatamala, mosquito nets, etc.
Gwen gets an allowance of $1.00 a week, which she divides among 3 boxes - spend ($.50), save ($.25), help people ($.25). I am excited about the opportunity to read each month's "cause" with her and then help her donate her money. She can always choose a different cause if she wants, but so far the money has just been accumulating until inspiration hit. I think we have found our inspiration! Check it out for yourself:
Kid's Lake
We Are the Champions!
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment