
In my opinion, Deceptively Delicious should really be called, "Disgusting and Not Fooling Anyone". (Can I get sued for writing that?!?) Allow me to explain: I made ALL of Beckett's baby food and during that time I got motivated and bought this cook book with the idea of pureeing veggies and adding them to regular foods. I got burnt out on pureeing (it is a HUGE pain), so I never made anything in the book until this week. I spent an entire day cooking and pureeing cauliflower, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, spinach and carrots. Then I had to clean up the (substantial) mess and then get to work with the actual cooking. My idea was to make big batches of the recipes and freeze the extras, so I made a ton of food. So far I made chicken & rice balls (with spinach and sweet potato) and they were fairly disgusting. Beckett wouldn't even eat them! I still have a HUGE bowl of the mix in my fridge that I am going to end up tossing. Then, I made angel food cupcakes (containing squash) with cream cheese (and carrot) frosting. Gwen tried the frosting and immediately started gagging. So we didn't even put it on the cupcakes. As for the cupcakes, even Darcy (who eats anything sweet) declared them "GROSS" and spit them out. Enough said. So next time you get a bright idea to spend all of your (limited and precious) free time pureeing vegetables, remember this:
Vegetables mashed up and put in foods that don't normally contain vegetables in THEORY = Good
Vegetables mashed up and put in foods that don't normally contain vegetables in PRACTICE = DISGUSTING!!!
Spare yourself the pain, PLEASE!!
SO good to know! I have this darn book, but I haven't made anything from it yet. Now I want to take it back! I'm just starting to make baby food for Gavin. So impressive that you made ALL of Beckett's food. Any tips?
ReplyDelete