I sometimes feel like December is "the month of Gwen" b/c we celebrate her birthday several times, she has school Christmas parties, then actual Christmas, etc. Well, apparently September is the month of Darcy this year!!! Not only has the girl jumped, but over the last five days we've been POTTY TRAINING her and it has been WORKING!!
My mother-in-law Lynette came down to help me Thursday and Friday. I wanted to use the "Potty Training in a Day" method (realizing it would take longer than a day with Darcy's muscle tone issues), and they want you to have no other distractions (kids) in the house. So Lynette entertained G & B while Darcy and I sat on the kitchen floor with the potty, a bunch of different drinks, some salty snacks, and the potty doll. Thursday and Friday were miserable with zero successes until Friday afternoon. Then she ran over with wet underwear but sat on the potty to finish the job. It was something - enough to keep me from quitting, even though I had been tempted. Saturday the girl did not pee until 3:45 in the afternoon! But we made her watch tv while on the potty so we caught that one. Success, but not really. Then suddenly on Sunday she figured out how to pee "on command" a little better and we haven't had a single accident in 2 days! Tonight we even went out to dinner and she went at the restaurant!
If I didn't have so much emotionally invested in training Darcy, I probably could have added Beckett to the mix and trained them both at the same time. He kept fighting with her over the potty, I caught him putting the potty doll on the potty and then cheering for her, and one morning when Darcy came downstairs he actually ran to the potty, put the lid up, ran back to Darcy, put his arms around her waist and tried to drag her over to the potty!
I am just beyond excited right now. Not only does this mean that I could have ZERO kids in diapers in the next 6 months or so, but it really means so much more to us than that. It is one more thing that Darcy has managed to learn that seemed impossible. It is one more thing that she's done right at the tail end of acceptable for a "normal" kid. If potty training is possible, then learning letters might be possible, reading might be possible, riding a bike might be possible.
In fact, the possibilities might be endless.
We love you Darcy! Way to go, big girl!
We Are the Champions!
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment