Thursday, April 22, 2010

Well, maybe not!

Just after I had written that last post about 30 West Research, an interesting thing happened... I had to put together a bid for a project and I called a company that manages a huge database of respondents and basically I would design the survey and they would distribute it to their panel for me. Somehow in our conversation it came out that the company was actually located in Denver. I was asking a lot of questions about their capabilities and by the end of the conversation the guy said, "We're actually hiring and you sound like you know what you're doing. Do you want me to send your resume to our CEO?". So yesterday I had an interview with their CEO who is like a grandfather bazillionnaire who took over this company to turn it into a huge company. Too funny.

So long story short, I have an opportunity to work part-time, partially from home and earn a small base salary plus commission on the profit I generate (plus they will also give me some clients), OR I can continue to chug along on my own with no real guarantee of any business BUT the excitement and freedom of having my own company!!! I'm sure the upside is much higher at the company than being out on my own... Two months ago, before these few little jobs I've been doing came along, I would have practically begged to work for a company part-time from home. But the last few months have been SO MUCH FUN for me! Now, I'm not so sure!! HELP!!! What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. What would you be doing at this company and does that excite you at all? Or is it the idea of having a salary and the new co-workers? If what you'll be doing doesn't make you excited to get started there today, then I would say stick with your plan to build your own company. There will always, always be time to work at another company and I'm sure they would still be interested in you a few years from now if you decided to get back in touch. Don't sacrifice the passion you've been feeling recently. That is very hard to come by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that's not a bad problem to have! I agree that you should go with your gut and try not to over think it. Do what you want to do and what fits with your life right now. There will always be more opportunities down the road when you need something different. And both of these opportunities sound like they will set you up well. Good luck - this is exciting!

    ReplyDelete