
Happy Thanksgiving!
An interesting bit of family trivia (at least to me!): my family on both sides goes back to the Revolutionary War, and on my mom's side it goes back to the Mayflower. In fact my ancestors, Stephen and Elizabeth Hopkins, gave birth to a baby boy Oceanus on the Mayflower - the only baby born on the voyage. When the ship arrived, the women were kept on board for several months while the men explored. Most of the women died from illness during this period. Elizabeth was one of the only women to survive and celebrate the first Thanksgiving.
I kind of grew up thinking of the first Thanksgiving as a folk tale or something, but as I have grown I've come to appreciate how well it is actually documented and I've become kind of proud of our little part of it : )
Hope you all have a wonderful day filled with family and friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment