Tuesday, November 18, 2008

This Peer Pressure is Killing Me!

In the summer I started running with a group of about 5 girls at 6:00am. This meant I had to wake up at 5:10 to nurse Beckett, get myself ready and drive to meet them. It sucked, but at least it was summer and the weather was beautiful. They ran 6 miles, and I would have preferred 4, but hey, at least I was getting out there. Then we started adding a weekend run - again, this is where I would like to do 6, but they do 8 or 9, so I huff and puff along with them.

So throughout this time I've been secretly praying for fall/winter so we could quit these morning runs. No go. When it was 20 degrees one morning I started feeling around, asking "So, its probably getting too cold to run this early, right?". NO! They exclaimed, You can run when its below zero, just BUNDLE UP! Ugh, not what I wanted to hear. At this point, I am in this purely for the social aspect - I really like these ladies and I don't want to get left out! So then one morning we all show up and it is pitch black. We don't have street lights, so you can't see anything. I literally couldn't see to turn my GPS on. Again, I started feeling around, "Well, I guess we can't run anymore, its too dark!". Know what they said? SURE WE CAN! We bring our head lamps!

People out here are crazy! Never before have I felt like such a slacker! One girl in our group just did the Pikes Peak marathon this summer - that is where you run 13 miles up a 14,000 foot mountain and then 13 miles back down. They do this crap for FUN! So I am getting totally peer-pressured into staying in shape. Its good for me, don't get me wrong, but for crying out loud, don't you people ever sit around eating doughnuts! TAKE A BREAK, PEOPLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment