Sunday, May 10, 2009

I should have known better

than to press my luck, but I couldn't resist.



I picked Darcy up from preschool on Friday and she had a gift all wrapped up for me. On the front it said, I love my Mom because... and the teacher had written "she plays dolls with me". Now, I should preface this by saying that abstract ideas like this are sometimes tough for Darcy, so we don't ever hear these things from her. I asked her teacher, with tears in my eyes, "Did Darcy really say this?" and she assured me that yes, they asked each child and Darcy really said it. I should have left it at that, don't you think? Instead, when we got to the car I said, "Darcy, did you tell your teacher that you love mommy b/c she plays dolls with you?". Darcy replied, "No". Taking the torture one step further, I asked "Well then, why do you love mommy?", to which Darcy replied, "I don't love mommy." OK, well glad I asked! Now, this is not a sullen teenager responding, this is my three year old who definitely does love me, but she does not really get the whole love concept. Anyway, I thought that was funny.

To make matters worse, I told her I loved my gift and she freaked out, yelling "This is MY favorite gift! My teachers gave it to me! It is aw-full-y good, now you say it is aw-full-y good (b/c she always tells us what to say). It is MY gift!". Then, when we got to Gwen's school to pick her up, Darcy cheerfully ran up to Gwen, handed her my Mother's Day present and said, "Here Gennie!!! This present is for you! I made it for you at preschool!!!!!".

No comments:

Post a Comment