Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Please, don't call me a hero...

I'm just doing my share for clean air...
This morning I rode my bike to the grocery store at 6:00am and carried all my groceries home in my double bike trailer!!! I was so excited! Do I feel proud and self-righteous about this? Yes, I do!!! Do I now judge all you people who drive your dirty cars to the grocery store? Absolutely! (If anyone is reading this that does not know me, I should point out that I am kidding : )

For some reason, I have always wanted to ride my bike around instead of driving. But a combination of too many kids and unsuitable conditions have made this difficult. Cincinnati was hilly and lots of traffic, Fayetteville had no sidewalks on the main streets, Granby was mountain-y and had dirt/gravel/ice roads. BUT, now my dream has been fulfilled! One thing I absolutely LOVE about our town is that there are sidewalks on every street, no matter how busy. You could jog or bike ALL over with no trouble, even over the freeway! So on Sunday, we all packed up and biked to the Rec Center (2.5 miles away) - Gwen on her 2-wheeler, Lance on his bike ready to help Gwen if needed, me pulling Darcy and Beckett in the trailer. It was awesome! I don't quite feel confident enough to take all three kids on my own, but next year when Gwen is in Kindergarten, I should be able to pull Darcy and Beckett everywhere.

I had a LOT of groceries this morning and it was no sweat! I even carried my Starbucks home with no problem (b/c let's be realistic - if I couldn't get my weekly Starbucks I would forget this whole bike thing with no apologies to Mother Earth). I'm on the hunt for a bike cup-holder and I will be all set!

No comments:

Post a Comment