Monday, September 20, 2010

Mystery Solved!




Turns out our mystery squash that came back to life as a green cantaloupe is really.... A regular old cantaloupe. Who knew they started out green in the middle and smelling like a cucumber? Now, if you were me you would naturally have the following reaction:

"But I didn't plant any cantaloupes, so what the hell is this GIANT plant doing in my yard? And why do I also have a cantaloupes in my flower pots? And in my basil? And interspersed with my tomatoes?"

And then someone very wise clued me in that I must have had cantaloupe seeds in my homemade compost. So when my squash plant died in the hail, and I thought it came back to life, it was really the cantaloupe seeds in my compost taking root. But now we know that cantaloupes are apparently well-suited to Colorado. Too bad you can't make cantaloupe bread though, because we really don't need 27 at one time. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment